Losing your job is painful. There are many days when you may feel discouraged because the job market is complicated and the competition for jobs is fierce. In order to get through a period of unemployment, itâs important to use whatever resources you can to stay motivated.
Try these tips to boost your motivation while you search for a new job:
- Utilize the power of the internet. Save time and money! Many tasks that will help you get a job are activities you can do more efficiently online.
- Research companies, fill out applications, and join online networking groups to streamline your job search.
- Work on your job search each day. Spend five days of the week actively looking for a job. Pick the ones that will work best for you. In most cases, that would be Monday through Friday. Take the other two days off.
- Use your unemployment funds wisely. Pay bills that are necessary but limit other things, like social outings, to a minimum.
- If you need to borrow money from a friend or family member, do so. Having the money you need to get by will take a lot of stress off of you.
- Eat nutritious food. Stressful times tend to weaken your immune system, so include plenty of extra fruits and vegetables in your diet to help your body be at its best. Protein is also necessary for keeping your energy levels up when youâre looking for work.
- Trying to gain or lose weight at this time doesnât usually work well. Youâre more likely to be successful with your weight goals if you put off dieting until after youâve found another position.
- Exercise regularly. Enjoy whatever type of exercise that youâre used to doing. This can be dancing, running, walking, or any other type of activity that you wish.
- Exercise reduces stress, brings you energy, keeps you alert, increases your feelings of well-being, and strengthens your health. All of these benefits will help keep you motivated while looking for a job.
- Get plenty of rest. It may be difficult to sleep at times when youâre looking for work, but itâs better to try. For optimum benefits, shoot for 7 or 8 hours of good quality sleep.
- Avoid caffeine or computer screens for several hours before bedtime to make it easier to get your rest.
- Use your friends for support. Donât be afraid to enlist the help of your friends. Explain to them that youâre between jobs and actively looking for work. Tell them what youâre looking for and your background and skills.
- Your friends may know of a company that is looking for someone just like you!
- Make an effort to keep in touch with previous co-workers. Co-workers from your previous job may also have job ideas and leads for you.
- Watch your transportation costs. Cutting back on your gas mileage will save you money. It will also prevent a lot of wasted time. Only go to companies that youâve contacted and have an interview with, so you arenât just pounding the pavement.
- Schedule some âme timeâ each day. When youâre unemployed, you might find that youâre actually working harder than ever. Plus, the stress is highly taxing â both mentally and physically. Itâs important to re-energize and boost your morale by engaging in activities that bring you pleasure.
- Try to spend an hour each day doing something you love. Whether you immerse yourself in a hobby or a good book, or even just take a nap, enjoy your special time however you like. Pamper yourself. You deserve it!
Finding a new job almost always takes longer than we want it to, but you can stay motivated by using these tips. Stay focused and dedicated, and youâre determination will pay off.